- "Mankind's desires are my desires."
Ameno-sagiri (アメノサギリ, Amenosagiri) is an antagonist in Persona 4.
Ameno-sagiri (天之狭霧神) is the Japanese spirit of fog, representing the heavens, that was mentioned in. They, along with Kunino-sagiri are children of Ohoyamatsumi and Kaya-no-hime (themselves children of Izanagi and Izanami).
- Music: "The Almighty"
Ameno-sagiri is introduced close to the end of the story. After the Investigation Team confronts the real culprit to the murders that had happened in Inaba, he escapes to Midnight Channel, spawning the dungeon called Magatsu Inaba. When the team manages to catch up and defeat him, his unconscious self was possessed by Ameno-sagiri, who manifests out of his body and begins talking to the Team.
Ameno-sagiri heralds itself as the granter of mankind's desires, and it believes that what it does – enveloping the town in fog and turning people into Shadows – is what mankind desires. Mankind, it thought, wishes to stop the sufferings they face in their daily lives, and by turning into Shadows, they will wander the endless fog, oblivious and uncaring of the underlying reality.
However, it had not foreseen mankind's "hidden potential" – the ability to confront one's Shadow to summon personas – that had manifested within the Team. Curious of this potential, it challenged the Team to see how far this potential might go. In its initial stages, it begins by disdaining the power of personas; however, as its health begins to drop, it begins trying to bargain with the Team and justify itself, and when nearing defeat, it desperately begins asking the Team whether they believed it was truly just to meddle with what it saw as Mankind's wishes. Despite its pleas, it was slain.
After the fight ends, Ameno-sagiri withdraws along with the fog it swept over Inaba, congratulating the "children of the new potential" and understanding their desire to continue living, but warns that it will continue to observe and watch mankind. In the events of the True Ending, Izanami reveals that Ameno-sagiri is actually an avatar of herself that she created.
- You'll accomplish nothing. That is the truth.
- To defy me is a senseless act that goes against your world's wishes. Now, let everything vanish into the sweet fog of illusion. Let us begin!
- No one wishes for the fog to lift. Why act against the wishes of your fellow man? Consider... is that truly just?
- How foolish... your actions will draw many back into suffering and strife! Why will you not understand this?
- You fools! Then I have no choice! I will bring about the deaths of those who will keep true peace from the world!
- Why face me when you know it is useless?
- Your wishes will never be fulfilled, just as this fog shall never lift.
- You will not reconsider? Then I shall grant you death!
- All things will vanish into the fog.
- I will grant you a suitable death... of which there is no escape!
- Death to those who have chosen to walk the fool's path.
- It seems your end has come!
Ameno-sagiri in an anime cutscene of Persona 4
|Persona 4: The Animation|
Ameno-sagiri in Persona 4 The Animation
Ameno-sagiri's appearance in P4A
|Persona 4 The Golden Animation|
Ameno-sagiri in Persona 4 The Golden Animation
|Storyline||Shadow Yosuke - Shadow Chie - Shadow Yukiko - Shadow Kanji - Shadow Rise - Shadow Teddie - Shadow Mitsuo - Shadow Naoto - Kunino-sagiri - Tohru Adachi & Magatsu-Izanagi - Ameno-sagiri - Kusumi-no-Okami * - Izanami - Izanami-no-Okami|
|Sub||Avenger Knight - Daring Gigas - Amorous Snake - Killing Hand - Dominating Machine - World Balance - Chaos Fuzz - Envious Giant - Neo Minotaur - Sleeping Table|
|Extra||Contrarian King - Intolerant Officer - Momentary Child - Escapist Soldier - Extreme Vessel - Lost Okina|
|Other||Margaret - The Reaper|