Aya Nishitani (西谷史, Nishitani Aya) is the novelist whose works inspired the creation of the Megami Tensei franchise.
He was born in 1955 and is a graduate of Hokkaido University's economics department. He was inspired to write Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei while working at an electronic manufacturer. Digital Devil Story was originally written as a serialized piece in Oh!PC magazine and was later developed into a full novel.
This is a list of his works relating to the Megami Tensei franchise. Nishitani, however, has continued to work on other novels outside the series' scope.
- Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
- Digital Devil Story 2: Warrior of the Demon City
- Digital Devil Story 3: Demise of the Reincarnation
- New Digital Devil Story: Goddess of Enchainment
- New Digital Devil Story 2: Queen of the Ice Fields
- New Digital Devil Story 3: Planet of the Devil
- New Digital Devil Story 4: Wrath of the Young Emperor
- New Digital Devil Story 5: Eternal Goddess
- New Digital Devil Story 6: Bonds of Reincarnation
- Shin Megami Tensei: El Seiram (1-4)
- According to Suzuhito Yasuda, the character designer for the Devil Survivor series, Aya Nishitani attended the same school as him, making him his upperclassman.
- Digital Devil Story was not the only novel by Nishitani that inspired a game. His later released Tokyo Shadow novels were made into a game for the Sega Saturn and Playstation.