- "Whaaaaaat!? The sequence of arcana has completely changed! "Death" has moved far off into the future... But there's no way that could've happened... without you breaking the law. I mean, how could an ordinary high school student change the course of fate...? ...Fine. I'm just going to have to verify your power. The very power that reversed my tarot card prediction! Oh, I know... I'll read your fortune! Please, I beg you... I need to know if fate truly can be changed..."
- —Chihaya Mifune to the protagonist, Persona 5
Chihaya Mifune is a character from Persona 5.
Chihaya has purple eyes, long blonde hair, and wears a big navy blue headband. She wears a necklace with a small red jewel resembling a teardrop.
She wears a navy blue long sleeved shirt. Over this is a light purple dress with clock-like black designs (resembling traces of the Wheel of Fortune card pattern from Persona 3 and 4) and two black laces. On her lower body are navy blue tights and dark gray slippers.
Chihaya is a cheerful woman with a lovely atmosphere about her, with a rumor of her fortunes being infallible. This is revealed to be accurate, but she cannot predict the effect that her fortunes themselves have on the world, and doing her side quests cause her readings to change. She is initially frustrated and suspicious about this, but soon comes to realize that this implies a better world than she had thought. She has a tendency to lapse into her native rural accent if sufficiently upset and shouting.
Chihaya is a tarot fortune-teller who runs a fortune-telling stand in Shinjuku. She has a bright and cheerful atmosphere about her, but her fortunes always hit the mark. She is rumored to definitely be “a real fortune-teller,” but at the same time apparently recommends these “suspicious stones”. It is later revealed that her powers are genuine, but in the past she was ostracized for her apparent omniscience. The stones, as revealed, are worthless trinkets made of rock salt; her employers, a group of New Age con artists called the Assembly of Divine Power, force her to sell them, and she keeps to it since her readings say she cannot escape. At the end of her Confidant, she realizes the Phantom is proof that her destiny can be changed, and she quits after the Phantom Thieves change the ADP's chairman's heart so that he will waive her otherwise inescapable work contract.
- "Unless you were lucky, there's no way you could've repeatedly done so many crimes. Or perhaps you had someone you consulted who gave you precise advice. You're not getting away this time with just luck!"
- —Sae Niijima talking about Chihaya Mifune, Persona 5
Chihaya's can be met on June 22nd by listening to a rumor about her and then meet her at Shinjuku. The player is required 100,000 yen to buy her Power Stone in order to unlock her Confidant. Each fortunetelling also costs 5,000 yen. Unlike other daily activities, fortunetelling does not spend the player's activity time which is similar to shopping.
The item received by maxing Chihaya's Confidant is a Fortune Tarot Card, which unlocks all of her Fortune Telling abilities from the start of her Confidant in New Game+. If the player pursues a romantic relationship with Chihaya, she will gift the protagonist Cologne on Christmas, allowing the player to earn more points when using a Fortune Persona during their Confidant in NG+, and Chihaya's Chocolate on Valentines Day, which fully restores SP to one ally when consumed.
|1||Luck Reading||Temporarily increases the growth rate of a selected social stat.|
|3||Money Reading||Temporarily increases money earned from battle.|
|5||Fate Reading||Provides a preview of some abilities for a Confidant of your choice.|
|7||Affinity Reading||Deepens your bond with a Confidant of your choice.|
|10||Special Fate Reading||Provides a preview of all abilities for a Confidant of your choice.|
Chihaya at her fortune-telling stand.
Chihaya talking to the protagonist.
Chihaya after Valentine's Day.
|Persona 5 Portraits|
Chihaya Mifune's portrait
Chihaya sad cut-in
Chihaya surprised cut-in
- Chihaya's name resembles
(御船 千鶴子), a psychic who was alleged to possess clairvoyance but committed suicide at the age of 24 in 1911.
- Chihaya's cult boss Yuichi Fukurai (福来 友一) is otherwise a reference to (福来 友吉), a psychologist who worked with Chizuko to prove the existence of the psychic power.
- The official artwork shows her holding what appears to be the Persona 5 variation of the Wheel of Fortune card.
- Chihaya's Japanese voice actress, Miyu Matsuki, died of malignant lymphoma on 27 October 2015 at the age of 38. Although not officially confirmed by her agency, Persona 5 is generally believed to be her last professional performance, at least in the video game category.