- "But today, you entered a partnership with someone who awoke to the same power, haven't you? Involving yourself with others is an important foundation for your recovery. You've done well. That said, I am not advising the formation of superficial relationships. It must not be of frivolity, but a ring of those who would, by morals or faith, lend you their strength. In other words, they are bonds with those who have been robbed of their places to belong. The expansion of said ring will, in return, help you mature as well."
- —Igor, Persona 5
Confidant, known as Cooperation (コープ, Kōpu)? in the Japanese version, is a game mechanic in Persona 5.
This mechanic is similar to the Social Links of Persona 3 and Persona 4 and involves the protagonist building relationships with helpers around the city. Unlike Social Links however, establishing and improving relationships with Confidants also provides various benefits outside of persona fusions, many of which can be used in battle. Furthermore, only the events that start them and the ones that maximize them are voiced, with the exception of the Fool, Magician, Justice and Judgement Confidants as they progress with the story.
Similar to Social Link, each relationship with a certain character (or possibly a group) is represented by a major Arcana, ranking up each Confidant grants bonuses to Personas of correlated Arcana: Experience bonus for fusion result; shorter in-game days required for training a Persona in Velvet Room to learn a passive skill for overcoming its weakness. Ranking up each Confidants also unlocks new ability or benefit which directly affect performance in the Palace.
|II Priestess||Makoto Niijima*||
|III Empress||Haru Okumura*||
|IV Emperor||Yusuke Kitagawa*||
|V Hierophant||Sojiro Sakura||
|VI Lovers||Ann Takamaki*||
|VII Chariot||Ryuji Sakamoto*||
|VIII Justice||Goro Akechi*|
|IX Hermit||Futaba Sakura||
|X Fortune||Chihaya Mifune||
|XI Strength||Caroline and Justine||
|XII Hanged Man||Munehisa Iwai||
|XIII Death||Tae Takemi||
|XIV Temperance||Sadayo Kawakami||
|XV Devil||Ichiko Ohya||
|XVI Tower||Shinya Oda||
|XVII Star||Hifumi Togo||
|XVIII Moon||Yuuki Mishima||
|XIX Sun||Toranosuke Yoshida||
|XX Judgement||Sae Niijima||
* All party combatants bonus as follow with varied rank requirements:
- Unlocks Baton Pass.
- Unlocks Follow-up Attack.
- Chance to revert to the last negotiation question if the target is enraged by the answer.
- Chance to recover status ailment afflicted to other party members.
- Endure: Survive with 1 HP once in a battle when hit by a lethal or instant kill attacks.
- Protects the protagonist before getting hit by a lethal attack (single target only).
- Unlocks ally's Ultimate Persona with additional skills and new elemental attributes.
- With the exception of those directly affiliated with the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, and the Fool and Strength Confidants, any Confidant that becomes maxed will eventually discover the protagonist as a phantom thief, due to them revealing the names of those they are troubled by to him.
- The Sun Confidant is different from the other Confidants, as while he does learn the protagonist is a phantom thief based on observations of the protagonist, he was never troubled by anyone enough that they needed to have their heart stolen.
- Unlike the rest of the Persona installments, the Tarot Cards which are used to symbolize these relationships are notably written in French instead of English, as they are based on the deck. The only exception is Death, which is also unlabeled in Tarot of Marseilles and referred to as such.
- There are however deformities present in the Persona 5 variation of Tarot Cards from the original design. Below state the Deformities:
|Arcana||French||Focus of illustration/Deformitiy|
|0 Fool||Le Mat||A traveler bitten by the dog|
|I Magician||Le Bateleur||A magician performing bloody experiment|
|II Priestess||La Papesse||A priestess reading porn|
|III Empress||L'Impératrice||An empress sitting vulgarly|
|IV Emperor||L'Empereur||An emperor smoking tobacco|
|V Hierophant||Le Pape||A hierophant thumbs down|
|VI Lovers||L'Amoureux||The arrowhead is larger than the rest of the arrow|
|VII Chariot||Le Chariot||An injured charioteer|
|VIII Justice||La Justice||Money weighs heavier than heart.|
|IX Hermit||L'Ermite||A hermit blowing raspberry|
|X Fortune||La Roue de Fortune||The creature at the top of the wheel is significantly bigger|
|XI Strength||La Force||The woman has a malicious smile|
|XII Hanged Man||Le Pendu||A hanged man talking to his mobile phone|
|XIII Death||L'Arcane Sans Nom||The Grim Reaper is killing the king |
(original just depicts the Reaper surrounded by body parts)
|XIV Temperance||Tempérance||A maiden lifting up her right leg|
|XV Devil||Le Diable||A hermaphrodite devil tied to two children|
|XVI Tower||La Maison Dieu||Arrows raining down on the tower|
|XVII Star||L'Étoile||A maiden drinking water from one pot |
instead of pouring the content
|XVIII Moon||La Lune||A man attacked by the crayfish in the lake and |
the canines howling at the lake instead of the moon
|XIX Sun||Le Soleil||A sun drying out the livings on the land|
|XX Judgement||Le Jugement||A skeleton folding its arms like an "X" |
instead of praying like the other two people
|XXI World||Le Monde||A maiden playing shakers instead of holding staff in each hand |
and is heading towards the northwest of the card