- "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh mgah'nagl fhtagn... "
- —Cthulhu, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Cthulhu (クトゥルー, Kuturū)? is a demon in the series.
Cthulhu is a fictional cosmic entity created by horror author H. P. Lovecraft in 1926, first appearing in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu" when it was published in Weird Tales in 1928.
Cthulhu is one of the central Great Old Ones of the Lovecraft Mythos. It is often cited for the extreme descriptions given of its hideous appearance, its gargantuan size, and the abject terror that it evokes. Cthulhu is often referred to in science fiction and fantasy circles as a tongue-in-cheek shorthand for extreme horror or evil.
- Shin Megami Tensei II: Vile Race
- Shin Megami Tensei: if...: Vile Race
- Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSP): Boss in Tatsuya Suou's Scenario
Persona 2: Eternal PunishmentEdit
Cthulhu resides in the Tower of Will that exists in the Kadath Mandala. Zula tells the story of Cthulhu as the master of oceans and the Mu continent and how even now he is sealed in the sunken city of the Pacific Ocean, R'lyeh, but will not die. From the bottom of the deep sea, he gives people bad dreams, devouring his followers' souls, waiting for the day he will once again take control of the world above the ground and how that day will inevitably come. When the stars show the right way once more, the old rulers will resurrect countless relatives, regaining control over the universe.
The group's anger at Zula's words allow them to reject Cthulhu and what he stands for, allowing them to defeat him in battle and gain the Trapezohedron of Will.
Shin Megami Tensei IIEdit
Shin Megami Tensei if...Edit
- This version of Cthulhu is a giant demonic octopus; literary accounts of Cthulhu's appearance suggest it is humanoid.
- For unknown reasons, the design for Cthulhu in Shin Megami Tensei II incorporates a human penis as a tongue. This penis tongue does not appear on his sprites in II, if..., or Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.