Devil Children Black Book & Red Book are the first two games in the Devil Children series. Black Book and Red Book were released for the Game Boy Color on November 17, 2000. The games were developed alongside the Shin Megami Tensei: DeviChil anime, though they were released around a month after the anime debuted. Two years later, a remake for the PlayStation platform was released.
The story takes place in July 2000. Mysterious climate changes have been ocurring throughout the world and a mysterious black mist is spreading. Despite being summer, there is snow falling in the game's initial setting, Harajuku. Setsuna Kai and Nagahisa Kai are two young brothers whose mother has already passed away and who don't know their father. Setsuna has been having dreams of a mysterious man telling him to gather something.
One the morning of July 9th, a mysterious package was delivered to their house and shortly afterwards, a group of Petit Frosts appeared to kidnap Nagahisa. As Nagahisa is taken away by the demons, Setsuna opens the box and uses the magical gun known as a Devil Riser to summon Cool, a Cerberus, to defend himself. After defeating the demons, Setsuna runs outside looking for Nagahisa and meets Zett Takajō. Zett tells Setsuna that Nagahisa was taken to the Expanse. It turns out that one of the other items inside the box delivered to Setsuna is called a Messiah Horn, which allows people to travel to the Expanse. With Zett's help, Setsuna decides to head to the Expanse and look for Nagahisa.
One day later, Mirai Kaname, Setsuna's neighbor who is also an orphan, runs into a boy named Yūki in the school corridor. Yūki appears to recognize Mirai and leaves a small box with her before running away. A boy named Souta appears looking for Yūki and tries to take the box away from Mirai after he saw she had it. During their struggle, Souta recognizes a jewel Mirai had with her as a "Messiah Eye" and steals it. Mirai runs after Souta since the jewel was a memento from her mother and finds Yūki on the rooftop. Souta appears and reveals himself as a Ratatoskr before trying to attack Mirai with magic, though Yūki jumps in the way and seemingly dies. In order to protect herself, Mirai uses the Devil Riser inside the bag to summon Veil, a Gryphon. After defeating Souta, Mirai runs into Zett, who tells her that her father is somewhere in the Expanse. Mirai decides to head there and look for her father.
- Setsuna Kai: The protagonist of the Black Book
- Cool: A Cerberus who serves as Setsuna's demon companion
- Mirai Kaname: The protagonist of the Red Book
- Veil: A Griffon who serves as Mirai's demon companion
- Nagahisa Kai: Setsuna's younger brother who is kidnapped by Petit Frosts
In areas where there are random encounters, Setsuna and Mirai walk much slower. They can ride Cool and Veil which grants them a faster walking speed (around the same as normal walking speed in areas without enemies) but this will increase the enemy encounter rate. While riding, Cool can jump ledges, walk on lava, and go through holes on the ground. Veil, on the other hand, can fly over special types of terrain and ignore their effects, though she can't fly over lava and will still fall through holes in the ground. Because of that, certain areas and even treasure are inaccessible depending on the version. Also, certain parts of the game may be easier or harder to go through depending on the version being played. In certain locations, there are blue and pink doors close to each other. Only Setsuna can open the blue doors, and only Mirai can open the pink ones.
Some demons are only avaiable in a certain version. Also, while Mute-race demons can only be created through Fusion accidents in Black Book, they appear as normal enemies in Red Book. In regards to demon fusion, Black Book uses a system similar to other games in the Megami Tensei franchise while Red Book's works focuses on strengthening demons by using other demons in a way similar to Element and Mitama fusion.
The PlayStation remake features the following:
- The two games are present in the same disc, with the player choosing between Black Book or Red Book before moving to the title screen.
- It's possible to connect two save files in the same PlayStation in order to perform battles, fusions, or trading demons. Those features are equivalent to connecting two Game Boy Colors via link cable in the original.
- Three different save slots, while the original only had one.
- Updated graphics and sprites faithful to the Game Boy Color version.
- Voice acting for some scenes with the same voice actors from the DeviChil anime.
- There is, however, no option to adjust the volume of the background music and the voiced lines separately, meaning that the voice acting may be hard to hear sometimes.
- A new opening cutscene, based on the anime.
- The game's script, which was formerly composed entirely of hiragana and katakana, has now kanji characters.
- Despite that, kanji is still not avaiable when naming the protagonist.
- The Petit Frosts sent to kidnap Nagahisa were changed into Jack Frosts.
- Twenty new demons were added:
|Bakemogura||Kami wo Kure||A Bao A Qu||Nautilus|
|Kiyohime||Jersey Devil||Cyborg Deka||Zenki Goki|
|Abe no Seimei||Paramecium King||Excalibur||Taikoubou|
|Black Book only||Red Book only|
- Official Japanese site for Black Book and Red Book (Internet Archive)
- Official Japanese site for Black Book and Red Book PlayStation version (Internet Archive)
- Black Book Japanese Virtual Console
- Red Book Japanese Virtual Console
- Black Book & Red Book Japanese PSOne Classic
Devil Children Black Book & Red Book
|Playable||Mirai Kaname - Setsuna Kai - Cool - Veil|
|Non-Playable||Nagahisa Kai - Elegy - Zett Takajō - Lucifer - Azel - Hoshigami - Zebul - Michael - Diana - Dust - Paimon - Isis - Souta - Hel|
|Expanse||Ice Land - Marble Land - Sand Land - Forest Land - Fire Land - Central Land - Sanctuary - Deep Hole|
|Other||Vinecenter - Shop - Bank - Hotel - Casino - Trainer - Shady Laboratory & Manor|
|Songs||Go-Round - LOVE SICK - Tenkai no Aurora ~ AURORA HEALING - Idol ~IDOLL~|
|Terms||Devil Riser - King Riser - Macca - Magnetite - Expanse - Devil Child - Angel Child - Devil Database - Devil Phone - Keys of Norn - Vinecom - Type|
|Lists||Items - Demons - Skills - Status Changes|
|Productions||Shin Megami Tensei: DeviChil|