Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (デジタル・デビル・ストーリー 女神転生 Digital Devil Story: Goddess Reincarnation) is the first book in a trilogy of novels written by Aya Nishitani. It was written in the late 1980s, and is the original source material that would eventually spawn the entire Megami Tensei franchise. The novel was soon adapted in anime form and billed under the same title.
- Original release: March 03, 1986
- Reprint release: July, 2005
- 447 pages
- Akemi Nakajima: The protagonist who summons demons with his computer.
- Yumiko Shirasagi: The reincarnation of Izanami and a heroine of the story.
- Ohara: A teacher sacrificed to Loki, who he impregnates.
- Izanami: A goddess from Japanese myth
- Yomotsu-Shikome: A demon who protects Izanami
- Loki: A powerful demon on the Atziluth plane.
- Kerberos: Nakajima's loyal demonic ally.
In Jusho High School, there is a divide among the student body; those of the gifted side and those of the normal side. Akemi Nakajima, of the gifted side, is assaulted by one of the normal students: Kondo Hiroyuki. Takamizawa Kyoko was angered by Nakajima rejecting her advances and uses Kondo to punish Nakajima. The normal students were never punished for the actions they took against the gifted students out of fear of them and pity. Battered and bloody, Nakajima decides to finish his Demon Summoning Program to exact his own punishment. He discovers his computer is not powerful enough to use the program, so he must use the school's Computer Aided Instruction(CAI) room's host computer. Sneaking into the school one night, he attempts to run the program, and is found by Professor Iida. Nakajima telling the program he wants Kondo Hiroyuki and Takamizawa Kyoko dead, but the program appears to not work, although it causes the school to shake. A week later while Professor Iida is teaching in the CAI room in which Nakajima and Takamizawa Kyoko are present, a voice resounds from the host computer. The demon, trapped inside the host computer, uses the monitors in the CAI room to hypnotize the entire class except Nakajima, Kyoko and Professor Iida. The demon follows Nakajima's request and commands the hypnotized students to kill Kyoko and lure Kondo Hiroyuki into the room and kill him. They also kill Professor Iida to appease it.
- The computer AI, CRAFT is named after real life author H.P. Lovecraft and is located in Arkham, Massachusetts, the fictional town in H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.
- The words that are part of the making the summoning program work, Yod, Heh, Vav, Heh, are the possible pronunciation of YHVH.
|PC Version - Kyūyaku Megami Tensei|
|Playable characters||Akemi Nakajima - Yumiko Shirasagi - Cerberus|
|Non-Playable characters||Minotaur - Medusa - Rick - Loki - Gaia - Hecate - Izanami - Seth - Lucifer|
|Daimakyuu||Micon - Tower of Daedalus - Bien - Valhalla Corridor - Mazurka Corridor - Rotting Sea of Flames - Infini Palace|
|Archives||Demons - Bosses - Items - Spells|