Expel (破魔?, lit. "exorcism"), also known as Light, is a spell type in the series and the most reoccurring line of Light Skills. Like its dark counterpart, Death, Expel skills tend to focus on inflicting instant death, though exceptions do exist.
Hama is the general spell for the Expel element in the series, though its power, number of targets and accuracy change depending on the game.
In Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II and Shin Megami Tensei: if..., the spells differ in the number of targets.
In the Devil Children series, they inflict damage like normal spells.
In the Digital Devil Saga series, the spells reduce the enemy's current HP by an specific percentage. Humans (both party members and enemies) are immune to Expel (even under Berserk Mode).
In Megami Ibunroku Persona, Hama spells deal damage equal to a certain amount of the enemy's maximum HP and inflict the same amount of damage at the end of every turn, with the amount being determined by the target's resistance to it (100% for Grave Demons, 50% for weakness and 12.5% for neutral damage). Kouha spells deal normal damage and reduce the enemy's current HP by a certain percentage at the end of every turn, using the same percentages as Hama spells. The Expel "ailment" cannot be cured and affects the character until the end of the battle or the character dies and is revived.
In the other games, Expel spells deal instant-kill and differ in both accuracy and number of targets. The following table is relevant to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and all games released afterwards except for the Digital Devil Saga series.
|Hama||Low odds fatal||1 enemy|
|Mahama||Low odds fatal||All enemies|
|Hamaon||High odds fatal||1 enemy|
|Mahamaon||High odds fatal||All enemies|
|Very high odds of Fatal||All enemies|
|Violet Flash||Medium||1 enemy|
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne specificEdit
- Holy Wrath deals almighty damage to enemies of the opposite alignment as the caster.
- The skill "Godly Light" is only available to Amaterasu.
- The skill "Starlight" is only available to Kurama Tengu.
- The skill "God's Bow" is only available to White Rider.
|Thunderclap||Halves HP||1 enemy|
|Holy Wrath||Halves HP||All enemies|
|Godly Light||80% HP damage||All enemies|
|God's Bow||100% Fatal||1 enemy|
Megami Ibunroku Persona and Persona 5 specificEdit
- "Kouha" (コウハ) is Japanese for "Light Wave" (光波), in contrast to Eiha (Shadow Wave).
- All offensive Expel skills in Persona 5 are instead classified as "Bless" type, not to be confused with the curative skills classified as Bless type in Megami Ibunroku Persona.
|Kouha||Light||1 enemy||P1 & P5|
|Makouha||Heavy/Light||All enemies||P1 & P5|
- Hieroglyphein is the Egyptian holy glyph, which originally appeared in Megami Ibunroku Persona as a nonelemental spell.
|Bright Judgement||Heavy + fatal||All enemies|
|Alpha Blaster||Special, persistent damage||All enemies|
|Nova Kaiser *||Extremely Heavy||One enemy|
|Bloody Honeymoon *||Extremely Heavy+Confuse||All enemies|
|Cross Fortune *||Extremely Heavy+Ailments||All enemies|
|Foamy Lover *||Extremely Heavy+Charm||All enemies|
|Crescent Mirror *||Extremely Heavy+Freeze||All enemies|
Digital Devil Saga series specificEdit
- might be picked from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem Kubla Khan, a legendary palace.
- Seraphic Lore is a reference to the celestial beings of that order.
|Damnation||Reduces HP by 80% (high odds). *||All enemies|
|Punishment||Reduces HP by 80% (high odds). *||All enemies|
|Xanadu||Heavy damage.||All enemies|
|Seraph Lore||Reduces HP by 80% with 100% accuracy.||All enemies|