- "Without a doubt. I am Gaston the Magnificent, after all!"
- —Gaston, Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
|First Appearance||Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse|
|Japanese VA||Maeda Takeshi|
|English VA||Todd Haberkorn|
Gaston is a character appearing in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: Partner
- : Playable Unit
Shin Megami Tensei IV ApocalypseEdit
Gaston is an 18 year-old samurai from the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado who has received orders to defeat the faction known as the Divine Powers. He hates his brother Navarre for sullying their family's name.
All of Gaston's skills are physical and his Partner Awakening passive grants the equivalent to High Phys Pleroma + Phys Pierce; like all other Partner Awakenings it can be stacked with similar passives for increased effect. Obtaining Gungnir in a late game event grants the "pierce" property to all of his attacks, allowing him to bypass all physical resistances including reflection. Gaston is the only partner with high physical strength when compared to the entire team. Gaston will randomly interrupt Nanashi and his demons and perform his own attacks, effectively using up the their turn icons. This property can be useful in grinding relatively weak demons, but not so good in boss fight. As Gaston doesn't rely on his smartphone to battle, he can still provide support while the Tokugawa Mandala is active.
There is also a very unpleasant behavior of Gaston's AI: If all enemies repel physical attacks, Gaston will stay put during the partner's turn, but he will still interrupt the player's turn and the attack will result in the loss of all player turn icons or when his attack missed. The player will have to pay for it by losing a lot of turn icons.
Gaston switches his skill set appropriately after obtaining Gungnir from defeating Odin at the entrance to the Cosmic Egg.
- Gaston and the Bonds group are allegorical representations for the seven devils from the philosophical novel of Thus Spake; Zarathustra. The Seven Devils prevent the emergence of a New God and a new ethical norm for humanity to transcend itself. Only by sacrificing them can one ascend their humanity and create new ethical norms. Gaston represents The Heretic. He breaks Michael's spear and rejects being a follower of God any longer to follow his own path outside of God's will.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse's story is a warped allegory for The Fool's Journey. Gaston represents the Emperor Arcana.