- "Without a doubt. I am Gaston the Magnificent, after all!"
- —Gaston, Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Gaston is a character appearing in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: Partner
- : Playable Unit
Shin Megami Tensei IV ApocalypseEdit
Gaston is an 18 year-old samurai from the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado who has received orders to defeat the faction known as the Divine Powers. He hates his brother Navarre for sullying their family's name.
All of Gaston's skills are physical and his Partner Awakening passive grants the equivalent to High Phys Pleroma + Phys Pierce; like all other Partner Awakenings it can be stacked with similar passives for increased effect. Obtaining Gungnir in a late game event grants the "pierce" property to all of his attacks, allowing him to bypass all physical resistances including reflection. Gaston is the only partner with high physical strength when compared to the entire team. Gaston will randomly interrupt Nanashi and his demons and perform his own attacks, effectively using up the their turn icons. This property can be useful in grinding relatively weak demons, but not so good in boss fight. As Gaston doesn't rely on his smartphone to battle, he can still provide support while the Tokugawa Mandala is active.
There is also a very unpleasant behavior of Gaston's AI: If all enemies repel physical attacks, Gaston will stay put during the partner's turn, but he will still interrupt the player's turn and the attack will result in the loss of all player turn icons or when his attack missed. The player will have to pay for it by losing a lot of turn icons.
Gaston switches his skill set appropriately after obtaining Gungnir from defeating Odin at the entrance to the Cosmic Egg.
- The Greek embroidery on the wrappings of Michael's spear roughly translate to "Archon Michael," with "archon" being the Greek word for "ruler." An archon is a servant of the Demiurge in gnosticism, who is tought to be the biblical YHVH.
- In a similar fashion, the word "Gungnir" can be read in runes on the eponymous spear.