Hinokagutsuchi (ヒノカグツチ*)? is a demon in the series.
Japanese god of fire, son of Izanagi and Izanami. His mother was so badly burned when she gave birth to him that she died. Izanagi cut his son in eight pieces and from the body eight mountain gods emerged and from the blood came forth eight gods. Kagutsuchi is an alternate name of Ho-Musubi.
- Shin Megami Tensei: Kishin Race, as Kagutsuchi
- Shin Megami Tensei II: Amatsu Race
- Shin Megami Tensei: if...: Amatsu Race
- Shin Megami Tensei NINE: Amatsu Race
- Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE: Heavenly God Race
- Last Bible III
- Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon: Pyro Order
- Persona 2: Innocent Sin: Fusion Spell
- Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: Fusion Spell
- Persona 4 Arena / Manga: as Malevolent Entity
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Final Boss
Shin Megami TenseiEdit
- "Origin: Japan. The final child born to Izanagi and Izanami. Because he was on fire from the moment of his birth, he burned Izanami to death. Infuriated, Izanagi struck him down with his sword, Totsuka no Tsurugi. Many gods were born from the blood that then spurted from Kagutsuchi. Many others, such as Take-Mikazuchi, were born from Izanagi."
- —Shin Megami Tensei A-Mode DDS Dictionary
Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINEEdit
Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King AbaddonEdit
- "A fire god that burned his mother Izanami upon childbirth. His full name is Hi-no-kagutsuchi. His father, furious with grief, slew Kagutsuchi with the sword Totsuka. Many gods were born from his corpse."
- —Gouma-Den Devil Chart
Persona 4 Arena / UltimaxEdit
Hi-no-Kagutsuchi is the main antagonist of the Persona 4 Arena duology. In Arena, he was known as the Malevolent Entity and had allied itself with an ordinary human in order to use the human to find something the Malevolent Entity refers to as 'the One True Vessel'. This human, identified only as the Eerie Voice, is implied to have a connection to the Kirijo Group, as he shows himself capable of utilizing Kirijo Group protocols and taking control of Kirijo Group technology such as Labrys at will. Using his accomplice to hijack the carriage that contains Labrys and throw her into TV World, he then infiltrated the P-1 Grand Prix in the guise of the Shadow Selves of both the Investigation Team and the Shadow Operatives in an attempt to break their wills and turn their Personas back into Shadows. While its true form is unknown, the Malevolent Entity exhibits a wide range of powers; It is capable of appearing out of and disappearing into thin air at will, shape-shifting, duplicating the powers of others (including their Personas), telepathy and even outright mind control, among other abilities. In the ending of the Shadow Operative story modes, the Malevolent Entity directly appears in the form of the player's Shadow after his accomplice hijacks Labrys and does battle with them, but is defeated and retreats.
In Ultimax, he is the final boss of the game. He works together with Sho Minazuki, with the latter promising to revive him in return for destroying the world until Sho is the only one who remains. Kagutsuchi chose Sho Minazuki as his vessel for his birth and seemingly destroys Sho's other self, Minazuki, in the process. Depending on the route the player takes, he is defeated by either Yu Narukami and Tohru Adachi or Labrys. He was born from the selfish desires of humans who thought only of their individual survival when the fog appeared in Inaba. In P3 Story Mode he is described as being born from the dissatisfaction of people. In both cases Elizabeth describes him as also an avatar of death.
In the Japanese versions, he is voiced by Fumihiko Tachiki, while being voiced in English by Patrick Seitz (the same voice actors used for the series' announcer).
Persona 4 Arena MangaEdit
The Malevolent Entity appears in the final chapter of the manga, where it possesses Labrys after she gains her Persona. It does not take the form of any character's Shadow, and tries to crush Aigis' neck only for Akihiko and Mitsuru to intervene. After failing to attempt to destroy Aigis, he attempts to crush Labrys' own neck until she gains the willpower to fight back against its possession. Both Fuuka Yamagishi and Rise Kujikawa use their Personas to expel it from her body, where it disappears afterwards.
Shin Megami TenseiEdit
Shin Megami Tensei IIEdit
Shin Megami Tensei: if...Edit
Last Bible IIIEdit
Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King AbaddonEdit
Hinokagutsuchi's sprite in Last Bible III
Hi no Kagutsuchi as it appears in Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Lone Marebito
The Kagutsuchi Fusion Spell in Persona 2: Innocent Sin
|Persona 4 Arena & Arena Ultimax|
The Malevolent Entity posing as Shadow Aigis
The Malevolent Entity posing as Shadow Mitsuru
The Malevolent Entity posing as Shadow Akihiko
The Malevolent Entity as he appears in the Arena Manga.
The Malevolent Entity posing as General Teddie
General Teddie mocks the Shadow Operatives with an firework image of himself
Hinokagutsuchi appears in anime cutscene of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Hi no Kagutsuchi as it appears in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
- As the Malevolent Entity in the Persona 4 Arena games he shares many powers and traits with Nyarlathotep due to the fact that both can turn into the Shadow Self of the cast willingly to manipulate them and deceive them as he tried with Kanji Tatsumi and Yu Narukami, to name a few, in an attempt to break their spirits. Both also manipulate the main human antagonists of their respective games to do their bidding in exchange for power or a desire they have in particular(Takahisa Kandori, Jun Kurosu and Sho Minazuki) just to betray them and seek their own goals.
- Due to these many similarities fans believed and theorized, before the release of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, that the Malevolent Entity was in fact Nyarlathotep.