|Japanese Name||大宅 一子|
|First Appearance||Persona 5|
|Affiliation||Phantom Thieves of Hearts|
- "Hey, how 'bout we do this... You supply me with info on the Phantom Thieves... And I'll write articles based on what you tell me about them. You know, the Phantom Thieves who you love oh-so-much... Deal?"
- —Ichiko Ohya to the Protagonist, Persona 5
Ichiko Ohya is a character from Persona 5.
Ohya has brown eyes, black hair resembling a bowl cut, and noticeably red lips.
She wears a pair of orange sunglasses on her hair, a black shirt with a motto which reads "low life fight the power", a white long-sleeved shirt under the black shirt, and blue jeans. She also carries a pink fanny pack, a camera hanging from her neck, and a water bottle. Her shoes are black-and-white.
Ohya is a Masayoshi Shido and was permanently reassigned to entertainment-and more importantly, lead to the disappearance and framing of her partner, Kayo Murakami. Ohya admits she does not enjoy writing entertainment articles about the latest fads, yet feels she does not have the choice not to.in her mid-20s. She will write whatever story sells, even sometimes manipulating and twisting the information in her articles for the sake of clickbait and attention, and even if it means she does not have to take the time to properly research the truth. She used to be a more stringent journalist, but a story of hers was censored when she made a story critical of
Feeling betrayed and used, Ohya became incredibly cynical, sure of goodwill and unselfish motives being a sign of a manipulator. Over the course of her Confidant, she gradually becomes more idealistic again and chooses to go back to getting to the bottom of the scandal, recognizing that there is a point to truthful reporting even if it does not give her the fame she wants.
She first appears before Ichiryusai Madarame and Yusuke Kitagawa's residency for investigation. Greeting the protagonist, Ryuji Sakamoto and Ann Takamaki who are there for similar purpose, she leaves her slip for the protagonist. When the Phantom Thieves of Hearts are blackmailed by Makoto Niijima to reform a mafia boss in Shibuya, they contact and meet Ohya for intel inside the bar Crossroads in Shinjuku, she in turn requests an interviewee from Shujin Academy who is the victim of Suguru Kamoshida's abuse. Morgana nominates Yuuki Mishima, she accepts it and reveals the identity of the mafia boss to be Junya Kaneshiro, helping the Thieves to access his Palace.
- "Your reputation skyrocketed after a certain point. It's unnatural how much your actions were publicized. Did you have an inside man in the media? Someone who could manipulate information for you? ...What do you have to say to that?"
- —Sae Niijima talking about Ichiko Ohya, Persona 5
Ohya's Confidant relationship can be unlocked by visiting her in Crossroads since June 23rd. All of her Confidant abilities subside security level in the Palace in progressive effectiveness which are helpful in avoiding surprise attack by the enemies when being discovered or being forced to retreat from the Palace when the security level reaches 100%.
However, if the player excels at stealth in the Palace, her Confidant abilities are practically useless. This is offset by rewarding 3 points of charm each time the player has ranked up her Confidant relationship. Her Confidant subplot also has stronger tie to the main plot among all optional Confidants.
Ohya's farewell gift to the protagonist on the last day after maxing her Confidant is her Top-Secret Memo, which has all her notes gathered from the protagonist during her Confidant. It allows the player access to Legendary Scoop ability from the start of her Confidant in New Game+. If the player pursues a romantic relationship with Ohya, she will gift the protagonist a Camera on Christmas, allowing the player to earn more points when using a Devil Persona during their Confidant in NG+, and Ohya's Chocolate on Valentines Day, which fully restores SP to one ally when consumed.
|1||Rumor-filled Scoop||Lessens the security level increases, and decreases security level more overnight.|
|4||Shocking Scoop||Delivers the same effects as Rumor-filled Scoop, but to greater effect.|
|7||Outrageous Scoop||Delivers the same effects as Rumor-filled Scoop, but with incredible effect.|
|10||Legendary Scoop||Security level will not increase and will drop to zero overnight.|
- Ohya's name could be a reference to the leftist critic and journalist (大宅 壮一) who was known in the field of popular culture. Sōichi's third child, Eiko (映子), succeeded her father's profession and political stance.
- Ohya works for the Maiasa (Every Morning) Newspaper as a reporter, a reference to the major Tokyo-based newspaper (Daily Newspaper).
- Ohya using the protagonist for info of the Phantom Thieves is analogous to Rumormongers in Persona 2 who exchange rumors for the player's bizarre journey.