"Another thing that bothered me was the trend of the main character always being portrayed as someone special -- a legendary warrior, for example. It was the equivalent of saying you can't succeed unless you're from a wealthy family, and I just couldn't stand that. I wasn't born with special genes, and I'm sure most other players weren't either. No matter who you are, if you're given a chance and have the guts to try your best, you can become a hero... That became the concept of Megami Tensei."
Kazuma Kaneko (金子一馬, Kaneko Kazuma) is a Japanese illustrator and employee of Atlus. While working for the same company, he has also done work for Capcom and Konami, designing characters for the video games Devil May Cry 3 and Zone of the Enders 2, respectively. He also illustrates covers for several novels such as The Case of the Dragon Slayer. He is however, undoubtedly, best known for his work in the Megami Tensei series.
These are quotes from Kaneko in regards to a particular subject:
- On his favorite demon in the series:
- People ask me this question a lot, but having drawn many gods and demons, every myth is so fascinating and every demon is so dear to me that I just can't pick one demon as my favorite ... I'm sorry. - Escapist Magazine Inteview
- On the design of his demons:
- Nintendo would complain about my designs a lot. "Why is this monster naked?" (laughs) Then I’d explain to them that it would be weird for this particular monster to not be naked, and they’d reply back, "Ok, we understand. Please remove the nipple then." I said, what is this now, a Go Nagai manga? (laughs) - Game Hihyou magazine Interview
- Go Nagai is a mangaka notoriously famous for having his works criticized by parents and teachers that deem his works are obscene and explicit that much of it was censored by publishers.
Below is a list of works within the series associated with Kazuma Kaneko.
|Game Name|| First|
|Megami Tensei II||1990||NES||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Sprite Artist, World Map Designer|
|Shin Megami Tensei||1992||SNES||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Sprite Artist, World Map Designer|
|Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible||1992||GB||Coordinator|
|Shin Megami Tensei II||1994||SNES||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Sprite Artist, World Map Designer|
|Shin Megami Tensei: if...||1994||SNES||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Sprite Artist, World Map Designer|
|Kyūyaku Megami Tensei||1995||SNES||Character and Boss Demon Redesigner|
|Devil Summoner||1995||Sega Saturn||Character Designer, Demon Designer, World Map Designer|
|Revelations: Persona||1996||PlayStation||Character Designer, Image Designer & Title Logo Designer|
|Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers||1997||Sega Saturn||Main Character Designer, Demon Designer, World Map Designer|
|Persona 2: Innocent Sin||1999||PlayStation||Main Character Designer, Principal Persona Designer, Boss Demon Designer|
|Maken X||1999||Dreamcast||Character Designer|
|Persona 2: Eternal Punishment||2000||PlayStation||Main Character Designer, Principal Persona Designer, Boss Demon Designer|
|Maken Shao||2001||PlayStation 2||Character Designer|
|Shin Megami Tensei NINE||2002||Xbox||Demon Designer|
|Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne||2003||PlayStation 2||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Creative Director|
|Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner||2004||PlayStation 2||Character Designer, Demon Designer, World Map Designer|
|Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner 2||2005||PlayStation 2||Character Designer, Demon Designer, World Map Designer|
|Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army||2005||PlayStation 2||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Art Director, Original Scenario Designer, World Map Design|
|Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE||2007||PC||Demon Designer|
|Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon||2008||PlayStation 2||Character Designer, Demon Designer, Art Director, Original Scenario Designer, World Map Design|
Character Designer, Demon Designer, Creative Director
Scenario Drafts, Series Demon Design
Scenario Designer, World Setting Planner, Series Demon Designer
- Under the name Kaz he appears as a S-Rank BattleNet opponent in DemiKids after winning 87 S-Rank battles. He is said to be an evil artist that uses ice demons. Said demons are Jack Frost and his kin with the exception of Lucifroz. He is the 90th opponent in the tournament.
- In the very beginning of Soul Hackers, his ID (complete with name) is the one that's overwritten to be replaced by the protagonist's for the Paradigm X beta.
- Kaneko made a small cameo in the Devil Summoner TV Drama.
- One of Kaneko's major inspirations was Hirohiko Araki (creator of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, one of the key inspiration for Atlus' Persona series), and both are fans of each other's works to the point where they conducted an interview with each other in Weekly Shonen Jump.
- ↑ Escapist Magazine Interview Interview: Behind the Scenes of Shin Megami Tensei The Escapist Staff - 10 November 2010 2:00 pm
- ↑ Game Hihyou magazine, 1996, Translation by Shmuplations.com staff