- "Macca opens many doors."
- —Charon, Shin Megami Tensei IV
Macca (魔っ貨, or 魔貨) (sign: ћ) is the standard currency used in games that do not use Expanse, minted by Lucifuge. The symbol for macca is an 'h' with a line crossing the upper half of the neck, closely resembling the Cyrillic alphabet Tshe (ћ). The symbol also closely resembles the astrological symbol for Saturn (♄), especially in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, where the "h" portion of the symbol is curved.. It is the official currency used in the
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Shin Megami Tensei II
- Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
- Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
- Shin Megami Tensei IV
- Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
- Last Bible
- Last Bible II
- Another Bible
- Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
- Devil Children Black Book & Red Book / (PS)
- Devil Children White Book
- DemiKids Light / Dark Version
- Devil Children Fire/Ice Book
- Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner
- Devil Survivor / Overclocked
- Devil Survivor 2 / Record Breaker
Shin Megami TenseiEdit
Shin Megami Tensei uses both currencies at separate points in the game, as once Yen is rendered useless due to the downfall of the government, Macca becomes the only currency. An exchanger is present to convert the player's Yen into Macca, though this results in only a fraction of the total. Lucifuge Rofocale apparently is in charge of its creation.
Shin Megami Tensei III: NocturneEdit
It is shown that Macca is physically a coin of roughly gold or bronze coloring with the Macca symbol printed on it.
Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINEEdit
Macca acts as the primary player currency within the game. Most vendors will only accept macca and the player-based economy functions mainly through the exchange of macca. It can be acquired through defeating demons, negotiating with demons, selling equipment and gems, and completing some quests. It stacks up to 50,000 coins at a time, which can be exchanged into Macca bills at some Yagiya vendors.
The only zone in which macca is ineffective is Ikebukuro, which uses kreuz as currency.
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange JourneyEdit
In Strange Journey, Macca is regarded to be an energy source. Its use includes fueling ships, powering the treatment of the party in the Sickbay, and to develop new weapons, equipment, and items. It is shown that it is possible to break down physical objects to yield it. Strange Journey doesn't make it clear whether or not Macca is physically a coin like it is in other Megaten games but nonetheless, it is still used as a currency among demons.
Shin Megami Tensei IV ApocalypseEdit
- "Currency from the Expanse. Has the mark of Jupiter engraved on it. Written as 魔貨 in kanji, which translates to "demon currency." Now used by humans in the place of the yen.
Lucifuge had Macca minted for use as the Expanse's official currency.. Before God's Plan, only demons used Macca. But once Tokyo became encased in the rock dome, its citizens began to use Macca to barter with demons. Its use has since become common"
- —Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse Notes, entry - "Macca"
Persona 2: Eternal PunishmentEdit
One of Baofu's weapons is an One Hundred Million Macca Coin. It can be bought at Clair de Lune after Sumaru Castle for 380,000 Yen. In the English version of the game, it is translated as Billion Maka Coin.
Macca is depicted as being edible by demons.