|Also known as||Surly Manager|
|Japanese Name||岩井 宗久|
|First Appearance||Persona 5|
|Affiliation||Phantom Thieves of Hearts|
|Arcana||The Hanged Man|
- "You help me out with my "business"... Smugglin' goods, destroyin' evidence... And as a reward, I'll introduce you to the "special menu," with good prices for a punk like you. ...Whaddaya say? Not bad, huh?"
- —Munehisa Iwai to the protagonist, Persona 5
Munehisa Iwai is a character in Persona 5.
- Persona 5: Supporting Character; Hanged Man Confidant
Munehisa is a middle-aged man with grey hair, faint stubble, sideburns and earrings. A tattoo of a gecko is on the left side of his neck near the back. He usually has a lollipop in his mouth.
He wears a grey hat with yellow ear defenders, a black turtleneck sweater, a long grey coat with a red peace symbol on it, blue jeans and dark boots.
Munehisa Iwai is the owner of the airsoft shop, "Untouchable" in Shibuya. When the protagonist asks him about the "real" firearms, Iwai shows interest in his motive, says he dislikes the police, and offers to supply the real stuff in exchange for the protagonist assisting him in shady activities. Building up Confidant with him makes him offer a discount for the player.
Iwai grew up with a single mother who lived a self destructive lifestyle, and the lack of a loving family led him to quickly join the Yakuza. There, he became sworn brothers with Tsuda in the Hashiba, who is now a rival of his. Several years ago, Iwai was approached by a woman who attempted to sell her infant son for drug money; when he refused, she abandoned her son and fled. Iwai subsequently adopted the baby and named him Kaoru. Not wanting his son to suffer the way he did as a child, he was forced back into a civilian life and runs Untouchable to support him. Iwai did not have the heart to tell Kaoru about his past or how his father was involved with the Yakuza, instead telling him that he was a family friend who adopted him after his parents died in a car crash.
After Mementos starts appearing in the real world, Iwai wonders whats going on and worries about Kaoru.
- "It seems you had model guns in your possession as well. Their detail goes beyond a simple hobby. I'm sure some people believed those guns were real. You'll tell me how you procured them won't you? ...Spill it!"
- —Sae Niijima talking about Munehisa Iwai, Persona 5
Iwai's Confidant can be initiated if the player has at least level 4 guts and progresses through completing his tasks.
Iwai's story revolves around his job as a storeowner handling special orders and his responsibility as a single father taking care of Kaoru. The protagonist is sent as a personal lookout for Iwai as he helps him out with a deal involving his oath brother Tsuda who has been extorting him to do illegal firearms customization for a massive deal. As the Confidant goes on, the deal becomes heated when Tsuda threatens the life of Iwai and the Phantom Thieves is tasked with stealing Tsuda's heart. Tsuda repents as he shows how he felt like he was losing his place in his organization to younger members. After sorting the problem involving Tsuda, Masa attempts to take advantage of the fact that Tsuda dropped out of the deal and threatens the life of his son and reveals the truth that his mother abandoned him. Iwai finally gains the confidence to acknowledge to Kaoru as his son and Tsuda turns the tables on the situation as Masa is taken into custody by Tsuda for snitching on them. At the end of the confidant Iwai gains the full trust of his son and is given a Gekko pin, which symbolizes the protection of one's home and family.
Following the protagonist's imprisonment in juvenile hall, Iwai uses his Yakuza contacts to ensure the protagonist isn't molested while in prison. Iwai's farewell gift to the protagonist on the last day after maxing his Confidant is a Gekko Pin. The item opens up all gun customization options from the start of New Game+
|1||Starter Customization||Allows you to customize your guns to improve their performance.|
|3||Medium Customization||Allows you to customize mid-grade guns.|
|5||Discount||Decreases the cost of gun customization.|
|7||Expert Customization||Allows you to customize high-grade guns.|
|10||Ace Customization||Allows you to customize special-grade guns.|
- Munehisa Iwai as an equipment dealer and gun customizer references Oda Nobunaga and was rewarded the commission to manufacture firearms for the clan. This is further supported by Munehisa's adopted son Kaoru (薫) and sworn brother Akimitsu Tsuda (津田 利光) who share the names with Imai's biological son (宗薫) and friend (津田 宗及). (今井 宗久) from Japanese , a favor of the warlord