The Seven Deadly Sins (七つの大罪, Nanatsu no Daizai)? are a recurring plot device in the series.
- Shin Megami Tensei: if...
- Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
- Megami Ibunroku Persona
- Persona 2: Innocent Sin
- Persona 5
Traditionally the Lust (Latin: Luxuria; Japanese: 色欲), Gluttony (Gula; 暴食), Greed (Avaritia; 強欲), Sloth (Tristitia/Acedia; 怠惰), Wrath (Ira; 憤怒), Envy (Invidia; 嫉妬) and Pride (Superbia; 傲慢). In some older account, two more sins are included: Acedia aka Apathy or Hollowness (Cavum; 憂鬱) and Vanity (Irritum; 虚飾) but they are considered too similar to Sloth and Pride respectively and thus combined by Pope Gregory I., per their severity progressively, are:
In, each sin is paired with certain high-ranking demon:
- Asmodeus: Lust
- Beelzebub: Gluttony
- Mammon: Greed
- Belphegor: Sloth
- Satan: Wrath
- Leviathan: Envy
- Lucifer: Pride
Shin Megami Tensei: if...
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
The Tokugawa Mandala is powered by Aether infinitely siphoned from the Expanse embodied by five of the sins in a different Jar. The Four Heavenly Kings and Marici guard these Jars. Only the most purest or well trained of souls can endure them, leaving Toki as the only one capable of sealing each jar. The sins that are used for the Mandala are:
Megami Ibunroku Persona
Enemies of the Karma race are themed after six of the seven deadly sins (with Gluttony being omitted). The Karma race demons appear as common enemies in the Alaya Cavern. Stronger boss versions of them also appear at the end of the Mikage Ruins.
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Lucifer's profile in the PSP port of the game identifies him as ruling over the sin of Pride. Before his boss fight alongside Ixquic, Belphegor also identifies himself as the ruler of Sloth. Three other demons associated with the deadly sins appear in the game (Leviathan, Satan, and Beelzebub), but their profiles make no mention of the fact.
Each Palace and its occupant represents one of the sins. These sins are stolen by the player as treasure from the individual in order to make them atone for their crimes, viewing death as an easy way out for the criminal in question. The following pairing of the bosses and their sins are told by the trophy titles earned after the player has finished each Palace scenario.
- Suguru Kamoshida/Asmodeus: Lust
- Ichiryusai Madarame/Azazel: Vanity
- Junya Kaneshiro/Bael: Gluttony
- Shadow Futaba: Apathy
- Cognitive Wakaba Isshiki: Wrath
- Kunikazu Okumura/Mammon: Greed
- Sae Niijima/Leviathan: Envy
- Masayoshi Shido/Samael: Pride
- The prison in the abyss of Mementos: Sloth (Acedia or "Spiritual Sloth")
- Yaldabaoth and Satanael: All the Deadly Sins
"Sloth" and "Apathy (Acedia)" are sometimes considered the same.
- Most demons in Persona 5 are incorrectly assigned to the deadly sins in traditional demonology. There is no major boss representing Sloth but is replaced by Vanity due to Mementos (which has no true "major boss") representing Sloth. Other enemies which represent ones of the sins are not defined so, namely Belphegor (Sloth). All in all, only Asmodeus, Mammon and Leviathan are correctly paired to their sins, although Bael is the basis for the demon of Gluttony, Beelzebub. Also only Lust, Envy and Pride are in the correct positions of the order of the sins.
- While Shadow Futaba is identified with Sloth in the Phantom Thief letter that solidifies Futaba's Treasure, she actually seems to be the part of Futaba that wishes to break out of her despair and disaffection at the time of her Palace being formed, later providing vital help when snapping Futaba out of the depressed haze that was fueling Cognitive Wakaba's power. Thus, it is just as valid to say that the real Futaba is associated with Sloth.
|Hazama's Chapter - Manga - Kahn|
|Playable||Tamaki Uchida - Yumi Shirakawa - Shinji Kuroi - Reiko Akanezawa - Akira Miyamoto - Amon - Ideo Hazama|
|Non-playable||Nova - Akiko - Otsuki - Chefei - The Emperor - Lucifer|
|General||Karukozaka High School - River Styx|
|Expanse||World of Pride - Gluttony - Sloth - Envy - Wrath - Greed - Land of Nomos - Inner World|
|Terminology||Guardian - Expanse - Moon Phase System - Sword fusion|
|Lists||Guardians - Demons - Bosses (Hazama's Chapter) - Skills - Items|