|Also known as||Miss President's Shadow, The Raging Bull of Destruction|
|First Appearance||Persona 4 Arena|
|Height||160 cm (5'3")|
|Arcana||Wheel of Fortune|
|Theme||"Shadows of the Labyrinth"|
|Japanese VA||Ayana Taketatsu|
|English VA||Cindy Robinson|
Shadow Labrys is Labrys' shadow self and the final boss of Persona 4 Arena's Arcade Mode.
- Persona 4 Arena: Arcade Final Boss / Playable Character
For the most part, Shadow Labrys shares the same design as her other self, with her unique features being her bright yellow eyes which glow faintly in dim conditions, and the hysterical or menacing expression she usually dons. Due to her abilities, she is also able to appear to take the form of other characters that she is aware of. In order to differentiate her in battle, her sprite artwork also has a darker and different form of shading, with a large dark blue glow behind her. In battle, she is always seen with her Persona, Asterius, behind her.
Shadow Labrys is sadistic and cruel, enjoying having friends fight each other senselessly. She is also very manipulative, with her abilities of deception and freeform disguise aiding her to control others to follow her plans for the P-1 Grand Prix in order to complete her ulterior motive of becoming free from Labrys. However, as powerful and cunning she is, Shadow Labrys has a rather short temper, often becoming extremely irate at those who try to stop her or indirectly foil her plans. Like other Shadows derived from people, she has the skillful ability to coax her other self to disown her to empower herself. While simply exaggerating the traits of Labrys, it appears that Shadow Labrys also has the intense desire to be still be free from the Kirijo Group's grasp, going as far as at one point seizing Labrys and taking her out of the way of Mitsuru's party, while often disregarding them as nothing more than "Kirijo dogs" and claiming that she's "never going back" to the Kirijo Group's facility.
Persona 4 ArenaEdit
After Labrys was thrown into the TV World, Shadow Labrys and the fake school around them appeared, representing Labrys's trauma over being forced to kill her fellow Anti-Shadow Weapons during the Kirijo Group's experiments and her desire to be accepted and understood. Shadow Labrys created the P-1 Grand Prix and masqueraded as Teddie to lure the other Persona users living in Inaba into it and have them fight each other in order to force them to understand the pain her other self went through in the past. After the player defeats Labrys, Shadow Labrys reveals herself before the player character and fights them alongside Asterius, an extension of her. After being defeated, Labrys accepts her repressed desires, gaining her Persona.
Persona 4 Arena UltimaxEdit
Despite being put to rest, supposedly, Shadow Labrys' memories and personality were stored on a separate sub network within the original Labrys' mind. Due to Sho Minazuki taking control of her the same way he did in the original Persona 4 Arena, Shadow Labrys was able to overwrite Labrys' original self and come back in the flesh, destroying the very remote used on her, and putting a fight against Sho, as well as the rest of the others around. It is due to this that she was also able to call Asterius as her own Persona.
After having Yu, Chie and Yosuke all restrain her from trying to kill or fight against Sho any further, Shadow Labrys eventually concedes out of boredom and simply gives control back to the normal Labrys, since she deems herself to not be one to "play house anyway". However, Labrys within their shared trance realizes or hints that Shadow Labrys did so to help her, while the Shadow simply tells her to "shut up". Soon, she then disappears and leaves the rest to her original self.
Shadow Labrys is a variation of Labrys, sharing some and having many of her own normal and special attacks, but sporting some subtle differences in action and style, with her own unique "Persona" which is almost always active (as opposed to all other characters' Personas/avatars playing passively). Reminiscent of puppeteer, or "active avatar" characters in general, she fights in conjunction with Asterius, whose fearsome attacks cover an incredible amount of range. Her flaws lie in her relatively low damage output and the ease of Persona Breaking Asterius should the player neglect to defend it.
In Ultimax, not much has changed, especially since her auto-combo is still the same as in the previous game. However, Shadow Labrys' Persona Cards/Units are instead pushed up from 4 to 6 due to being a more Persona/avatar-reliant character, especially since it is an active one as opposed to passive. It can also be rather confusing since two versions of Shadow Labrys exist, the original, mentioned on this page, and the "Shadow Type" that still uses Ariadne.
Her leitmotif is called "Shadows of the Labyrinth".
- Here I come... (While chosen on the Character Select screen)
- What do you want me to do? (at the start of her Arcade Mode)
- Burn... (While performing Terra's Eruption)
- Die! (While performing Flames of Hades)
- I've got you! (Initiating Labyrinthos Gate Instant Kill)
- There's no escape... (Initiating Labyrinthos Gate Instant Kill)
- You're trapped in a maze! (During Instant Kill)
- You'll never get out! (Instant Kill)
- Stay there forever! (Instant Kill)
|Persona 4 Arena|
Shadow Labrys masquerading as Teddie
Shadow Labrys cut in
Shadow Labrys cut in with her visor
Shadow Labrys's render for Persona 4 Arena
Shadow Labrys portrait
Shadow Labrys pre-battle portrait
Shadow Labrys' Instant Kill: Labyrinthos Gate
Shadow Labrys' Sprite
Shadow Labrys palette swaps
Shadow Labrys's sprite as Teddie
Shadow Labrys appears in anime cutscene of the Arena
Shadow Labrys facing Mitsuru and Labrys in Mitsuru's story mode.
Labrys and Shadow Labrys
|Persona 4 Arena Ultimax|
Shadow Labrys returns
|Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax (Manga)|
Cover for Volume 3
Flashback of Shadow Labrys seen in Ultimax manga
- Shadow Labrys has special win quotes against Mitsuru, Aigis, Teddie, her original, and herself.
- Due to her prominent position in almost all stories as a major antagonist masterminding the P-1 Grand Prix, Shadow Labrys is the only playable character in Persona 4 Arena not to have their own unique story, instead appearing in most stories as a boss.
- Unlike other Shadows, Shadow Labrys' humanoid form is retained in the boss battle against the transformed shadow form. This may simply be due to the nature of the battle system in Persona 4 Arena.
- Shadow Labrys is identified as both the Shadow-Type of Labrys, with Ariadne as her Persona, and a separate character with Asterius as her Persona.
- Since she wields a Persona (Astrerius), then she is a Shadow that had developed an ego. This makes her of the few Shadows that have developed egos, the others include Teddie and Metis (though the latter is still debatable).