|Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner|
|Shin Megami Tensei: Debiru Samanā|
|Platform||Sega Saturn |
December 25, 1995
Sega Saturn "Special Box version"
October 09, 1996
Sega Saturn "Saturn Collection version"
June 07, 1997
December 22, 2005
PSP "Atlus Best Collection"
March 08, 2007
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner is a Japanese console role-playing game originally released for the Sega Saturn in 1995, and was later ported to the PSP in 2005. The game was never released in North America. It is the first game in the spin-off Devil Summoner series. The original Devil Summoner was the first Megami Tensei title for the Sega Saturn. Abandoning the post-apocalyptic themes of the original series, the story takes place in modern Japan, specifically in the year 199X.
The player character is an unnamed college student who is attacked by demons and saved by the timely appearance of a mysterious demon-hunter named Kyouji. Shortly thereafter, Kyouji is found dead under suspicious circumstances. The protagonist is then trapped inside of a warehouse and murdered by Sid Davis, a deranged serial killer and self-made priest. Rather than crossing the river of Styx, the hero finds himself in the reanimated body of the slain Kyouji, and escapes from the hospital. With the help of Rei Reiho, Kyouji's assistant detective, the protagonist seeks to save the life of his girlfriend and to stop demons from wreaking havoc.
- Protagonist: A young man who is killed early on in the game. He possesses the body of Kyouji.
- Kumiko Hatano: The protagonist's girlfriend.
- Kyouji Kuzunoha: A devil summoner who dies under mysterious circumstances.
- Rei Reiho: Kyouji's female detective partner.
- Sid Davis: A dark summoner who kills the protagonist.
- This is the only game in the Devil Summoner series that hasn't received an official release outside Japan.
- Presently, there are no active or ongoing efforts to localize this game, neither by fans nor officially.