- "True freedom lies within the constructs of society."
- —Shujin Academy, Persona 5
Shujin Academy, known in the Japanese version as Syujin High School (秀尽学園高校, Shūjin Gakuen Kōkō)?, is one of the main settings of Persona 5. It is an elite prep school located in Aoyama-Itchome neighborhood.
Shujin Academy is the school which the protagonist and his friends attend.
- Protagonist: Second year. Transfer student in class 2-D.
- Ryuji Sakamoto: Second year in class 2-E.
- Ann Takamaki: Second year in class 2-D.
- Makoto Niijima: Third year. Student council president.
- Haru Okumura: Third year.
- Yuuki Mishima: Second year in class 2-D.
- Shiho Suzui: Unknown (might be first or second year).
- Mr. Kobayakawa: Principal.
- Sadayo Kawakami: Japanese Language Teacher. Also Class 2-D's homeroom teacher.
- Suguru Kamoshida: P.E. Teacher.
- Mr. Ushimaru: Social Studies Teacher.
- Mr. Hiruta: Biology Teacher.
- Mr. Inui: History Teacher.
- Ms. Chouno: English Teacher.
- Ms. Usami: Math Teacher.
- Mr. Yamauchi: new track team advisor.
- The school's name is a homophone of the Japanese word for prisoner, shūjin (囚人). However, the school's name is written with completely different characters, making it merely an oral pun. This was confirmed as a deliberate choice by Katsura Hashino in 2015.
- The school seems to be designed like a prison. For example, it is surrounded by a fence, the gate in front of the school seems to be the only way in and out, and the minimalist clock in front of the could symbolize how the students are forced to "serve time" like a prisoner does.
- The school's uniforms are also vaguely reminiscent of being a prisoner; the suspenders could be interpreted as being prison bars. The plaid designs on the pants and skirts also could represent restriction.
- In keeping with a running theme among the Persona series' school logos, the logo resembles the logo of a car manufacturer: in this case, the emblem resembles the logo for .