|Also known as||Unyielding Politician, |
Man of the People
|Japanese Name||吉田 寅之助, |
|Romaji||Yoshida Toranosuke, |
|First Appearance||Persona 5|
|Affiliation||Phantom Thieves of Hearts|
- "The most important part about giving a good speech is believing in yourself... ...Perhaps one day... I will believe in myself... again. Very well. If learning how to give a great speech is what you seek, then I'd be happy to instruct you. In exchange, I would like for you to continue assisting me."
- —Toranosuke Yoshida to the protagonist, Persona 5
Toranosuke Yoshida is a character from Persona 5. He is attempting to seriously enter Japan's political system in order to start changing the country, but is having difficulties doing so.
Yoshida has slicked-back black hair, dark brown eyes and thick eyebrows. Yoshida wears his black business suit, yellow dotted red tie, white gloves, and a green sash that reads "friendly society, bright future" (やさしい社会 あかるい未来, yasashii shakai akarui mirai)?.
As a politician, Yoshida demonstrates impressive speech-giving skills, though due to his past, he naturally suffers from self-esteem issues, especially when someone calls him by his dreaded nickname "No-Good Tora." However, rather than be angry by such slanders, he remains calm and level-headed, even when he is faced against nay-sayers. This becomes bolstered through the protagonist's encouragements, eventually able to overcome his self-esteem issues.
As the Confidant progresses, Yoshida becomes more charismatic, eventually developing a sizable fanbase. He also holds no hostility towards Kuromoto, who was responsible for him being framed for embezzling funds, which surprises his old friends.
Yoshida also holds a high opinion of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, showcasing an open mind and incredible insight: he correctly deduced that the Phantom Thieves were individuals who felt wronged by society in some way and seek to change it, even implying that they could be children. At the end of the Confidant, Yoshida reveals that he knows that the protagonist is a Phantom Thief himself, having discovered this through his mannerisms and responses.
Yoshida is an unpopular man who gives soapbox speeches outside of Shibuya Station. In the 20 years since he started, he’s lost seven consecutive elections due to his tempestuous personality and political scandals. Given certain circumstances, considerably few people stop and listen to Yoshida’s words, but his speeches are actually good. He is confronting the country's future with seriousness. The protagonist first meets Yoshida during the former's part-time in the beef bowl restaurant. The player can volunteer to aid in his public speech to build up the Confidant with him, during which it was revealed that the major scandal that destroyed his credibility was not his fault; his old mentor misappropriated funds for his own purposes and put the blame on Yoshida. By the end of the Confidant, Yoshida has managed to win a sizable base for his upcoming campaign and the real culprit behind the scandals is revealed, allowing him to confront problems head-on.
- "Staging your crimes with calling cards... It's hard to believe that a student could manage this alone. An adult—for example, someone talented enough to move people with words—perhaps they coached you. ...Isn't that right!?"
- —Sae Niijima talking about Toranosuke Yoshida, Persona 5
The player can find Yoshida on May 6th in the Shibuya Station square. Then works as a part-time in the beef bowl restaurant twice to meet him again. His Confidant relationship is unlocked after helping him out for the second time. Each time the player has ranked up his bond, they will be rewarded 3 points of Charm as well.
This Confidant subplot requires the protagonist making public appearance, this means after issuing the calling card to the host of the penultimate Palace, the player is barred from progressing this Confident any more because the main plot requires the protagonist avoiding public attention.
Yoshida's farewell gift to the protagonist on the last day after maxing his Confidant is a Fountain Pen, which he apparently had used at the beginning of his political career. This item allows the player access to all Negotiation skills once their Confidant has been established in New Game+.
|2||Diplomacy||Occasionally ask for more money or items during negotiations.|
|3||Fundraising||Allows you to ask for large amounts of money during negotiations.|
|5||Manipulation||Occasionally raises the chances of an enemy giving you a rare item.|
|8||Mind Control||Occasionally lets you skip negotiation when attempting to obtain a Persona.|
|10||Charismatic Speech||Allows you to form contracts with higher level Shadows.|
- Yoshida's name is very similar to (吉田 寅次郎), a short-lived but influential intellectual and careerist who nurtured many major activists of the .
- Another possible reference is (吉田 茂). Like Toranosuke, Shigeru was a member of the Liberal Democratic Party but forced to dissolute the congress and subsequently resign his post of prime minister for yelling "moron" at a Dietman of the opposite party during the conference of national budget.
- Toranosuke, aside from Sae Niijima, is the only Confidant outside of the Phantom Thieves to learn that the protagonist is a member of the Phantom Thieves without having him take the heart of someone who has been causing him grief. Rather, he discovers this through the protagonist's mannerisms.